18 September 2011

Football writing

I've decided to collect all the football writing I've done for various blogs together in one place, for anyone who's interested.

First up, all of my pieces for the multi-award winning In Bed With Maradona are here - personal favourites include:

Diagne and the Racial Politics of Les Bleus - on Senegalese politician Blaise Diagne, the first African elected to the French Assembly, and his son Raoul, the first black player to represent France and the first manager of the Senegal national team.

Poland and the War - on the Polish national football team before and after their epic 6-5 loss to Brazil in the first round of the 1938 World Cup.

Extraordinary - Justin Fashanu at Torquay United - surveying Justin Fashanu's spell at the South Devon club - the only time that an openly gay footballer has played in the English League.

I also wrote this piece for The Equaliser's 1980s month on Fashanu's famous strike for Norwich City against Liverpool - Justin Fashanu and the Meaning of the Goal

Here are Part I and Part II of 'The Revolution Must Be Televised' for IBWM, calling for better football coverage.

And here's my article on France's great lost talent José Touré - which was featured in the Lewes FC matchday programme for their game against Staines Town, attended by the Socrates football bloggers group.

Finally from IBWM is my piece on The First Football Films, Die elf Teufel and König der Mittelstürmer, both released in Germany in 1927.

*

Recently, for The Real FA Cup, I wrote about my return to my hometown for Horley Town vs Corinthian Casuals, in 'Finding Horley' - one of my very favourite pieces.

For the wonderful European Football Weekends site, I wrote two match reports - one on Olympique de Marseille vs Paris Saint-Germain in March 2011 and the other from Norwich City's trip to Chelsea in August.

Sticking with Norwich City, this contribution to Ghost Goal's 'My Favourite Goal' series focused (predictably) on Jeremy Goss's memorable volley at Bayern Munich.

I kicked off Twisted Blood's brilliant 'Through Gritted Teeth' series with an entry about my grudging respect for Ipswich Town captain Matt Holland and his team's commendable Premiership campaign in 2001.

For the ever-acerbic (i.e. potty-mouthed) Surreal Football, I wrote a piece on French World Cup and Resistance hero Étienne Mattler.

And for Northern League Day, I documented Chris Waddle's journey from Tow Law Town to European Cup finalists Olympique de Marseille.

Also on L'OM, I wrote a piece for Greg Theoharis's Dispatches from a Football Sofa, explaining to defend (or even explain) my love of the club, and the twisted moral universe that they inhabit - Confessions of an Armchair Immoralist.

Last but definitely not least, I compiled a list of the ten greatest French club sides of all time for French Football Weekly.

Part I (Introduction/10th place)
Part II (9th/8th place)
Part III (7th/6th place)
Part IV (5th/4th place)
Part V (3rd/2nd place)
Part VI (1st place)

No comments:

Post a Comment